Course Guides: Library Science
- Printable Guides & Handouts
- Suggested Databases
- Selected E-Books
- Locations of Library Science Resources in the Library
- Selected Books in the Library
- Online Resources
- Research Guides: includes citation help
- Other Libraries
- APA Style-Quick Reference (PDF), based on the 6th Edition, 2010, with detailed citation examples.
- Course Guide Handout-Library Science (PDF)
- Generating Ideas & Topics for Writing (PDF)
- Guide to the Research Process (PDF)
- Internet Searching Guide (PDF)
- MLA Style - Reference Guide, (PDF), based on the 7th Edition, 2009, with detailed citation examples.
- Writing an Annotated Bibliography (PDF)
- Academic Search Complete - Provides full-text articles from more than 5,500 multi-disciplinary, scholarly journals and publications.
- CQ Researcher - Provides in-depth, non-biased articles on topics and issues in the news. Includes archives back to 1923 and a bibliography of sources.
- EBSCOhost - All Databases
- Encyclopædia Britannica Online - A full-text encyclopedia with video downloads, maps, statistics, classic literature, and more. Uses a unique login; see RPCC Library Services under RPCC Support in Moodle, or stop by the Library for more information.
- JSTOR - The Scholarly Journal Archive - Provides a multi-disciplinary archive of scholarly journals and other resources across the humanities, social sciences and sciences.
- LexisNexis - Provides full-text articles and abstracts from newspapers, magazines, and reference sources, including legal and law resources.
- Library, Information Science, and Technology Abstracts with Full-Text (LISTA) - Provides abstracts and full-text articles related to library and information science.
- Oxford Reference Online - Provides full-text access to many subject dictionaries and encyclopedias, maps, timelines, and more. Uses a unique login; see RPCC Library Services under RPCC Support in Moodle, or stop by the Library for more information.
eBook Collection from EBSCOhost is our largest provider of ebooks (electronic copies of printed books PDF format), available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. eBook Collection has an easy-to-use search interface. You will be prompted to login with your 12-digit Library User ID to access these e-books from off-campus. Please see our Tutorials on eBook Collection from EBSCOhost for more information.
- Gentle Guide to Research Methods, 2007, by Sally Rumsey.
- How to Find Information: a Guide for Researchers, 2nd Edition, 2008, by Sally Rumsey.
- Information Literacy: Search Strategies, Tools & Resources for High School Students and College Freshmen, 2nd Edition, 2008, by Zorana Ercegovac.
- Practical Research Methods : A User-friendly Guide to Mastering Research Techniques and Projects, 2002, by Catherine Dawson.
Visit our eBook Collections for links to eBook Collection from EBSCOhost and other e-book collections. Please note that books that are still protected by copyright may not be available online in full-text from the free sources.
Library Science, Information Literacy, & Research related topics can be found in resources located in these Library of Congress call number ranges:
- BF76.5 to BF76.8 - Psychology -- Research.
- LB2369 - Preparation of theses. Including research and thesis writing; also the preparation of papers and reports.
- ZA3060 to ZA3075 - Information resources -- Research. How to find information, including information literacy.
- 100% Information Literacy Success, 2007.
Call number: ZA 3075 .T394 2007
- The APA Style of Documentation: A Pocket Guide, 2010.
Call number: BF 76.8 .P75 2010
- APA: The Easy Way!, 2nd Edition, 2009.
Call number: BF 76.7 H68 2009
- Bookmarks: A Guide to Research and Writing, 3rd Edition, 2006.
Call number: LB 2369 .R88 2006
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Research Methods, 2004.
Call number: ZA 3075 .R696 2004
- A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th Edition, 2009.
Call number: LB 2369 .T8 2007
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 7th Edition, 2009.
Call number: LB 2369 .G53 2009
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 6th Edition, 2010.
Call number: BF 76.7 .P83 2010, two copies, one copy is Reference.
- Research: The Student's Guide to Writing Research Papers, 4th Edition, 2004.
Call number: LB 2369 .V43 2004
- The Research Process: Books & Beyond, 4th Edition, 2007.
Call number: ZA 3060 .B655 2007
- Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide, 11th Edition, 2005.
Call number: LB 2369 .L4 2005
Research Process & Writing
- Basic Steps in the Research Process, from the Cambridge Rindge & Latin School, Research Guide. This source emphasizes that the research process is not a fixed process, but varies with the individual and his/her needs.
- Conducting Research using the National Archives; pay particular attention to "Finding" & "Citing" Primary Sources.
- How to Avoid Plagiarism, from the University of Maryland University College Effective Writing Center. This site offers a tutorial in two formats.
- The Plagiarism Court, from Fairfield University, this interactive tutorial includes a quiz.
- The Seven Steps of the Research Process, from Olin & Uris Libraries at Cornell University.
- OWL - Purdue Online Writing Lab offers excellent help with research, writing, citation, and more.
Searching for & Evaluating Sources
- Bare Bones 101: A Basic Tutorial on Searching the Web, from the University of South Carolina Beaufort Library.
- Evaluating Information - The CRAAP Test, from Meriam Library at California State University, Chico; this is a quick guide to use to evaluate information in any format.
- Finding Information on the Internet: A Tutorial, from the University of California Berkeley Library, this offers information on search strategy, evaluation, style guides, and more.
Louisiana Academic Libraries
- LSU Libraries
- McNeese: Frazar Library
- Nicholls: Ellender Memorial Library
- Our Lady of the Lake College Library
- SLU: Sims Memorial Library
- Southern: John B. Cade Library
- ULL: Edith Garland Dupré Library
- UNO: Earl K. Long Library
- LOUISiana Union Catalog - This allows users to search some or all LOUIS member library catalogs.
Louisiana Public Libraries (Local)
- Ascension Parish Public Library
- Assumption Parish Public Library
- East Baton Rouge Parish Public Library
- Iberville Parish Public Library
- Livingston Parish Public Library
- St. Charles Parish Public Library
- St. James Parish Public Library
- St. John Parish Public Library
- Tangipahoa Parish Public Library
- Louisiana Library Connection: Come here to access catalogs for other parish libraries.
State, Federal, and Online Libraries
- State Library of Louisiana
- LOUISiana Digital Library
- ipl2 : Internet Public Library
- Library of Congress
- National Agriculture Library
- National Archives
- National Library of Medicine
- World Digital Library